What Is It?
Marron’s Pharmacy have partnered with Let’sGetChecked to bring laboratory quality Sexually Transmitted Infection testing to you.
How Does It Work?
The tests are available to purchase in our pharmacy or through our online store. Samples can be taken in the privacy of your home and sent for laboratory testing. You will receive results directly in 2-5 days.
Our pharmacists can offer private consultations should you wish to discuss your sexual health or get advice on contraception. Some of the require you to send a small blood sample. If you need help with this, our pharmacists can help and all aspects are strictly confidential. Only the pharmacist at the patient shall be aware the patient accessed the service.
Why Is It Important?
There has been a significant increase in rates of sexually transmitted infections in Ireland over the past decade, yet 6 out of 10 of Irish people have never had a sexual health check-up.
Chlamydia is one of the most common STIs in Ireland. It is estimated that 1 in 20 sexually active women in Ireland have Chlamydia and the disease seems to be on the increase.
Over the past ten years:
- Gonorrhoea rates have increased by 300%
- Chlamydia and Syphilis infections have doubled
- HIV diagnoses have increased in Ireland
Regular STI testing is important for everyone who is sexually active, regardless of age, sexuality or relationship status.
With up to 80% of STIs displaying little to no symptoms, people cannot afford to be presumptive when it comes to their sexual health.
Despite having no symptoms, the long-term effects of some STIs can be quite severe, in some cases, it can cause infertility.
If untreated gonorrhoea can cause pelvic inflammatory disease (PID) in women. Whilst causing a lot of pain in the pelvic region, this disease can also lead to miscarriages, stillbirths, as well as life-threatening ectopic pregnancies. When untreated in men infertility is a possibility.
Both sexes are prone to developing infections from gonorrhoea, in areas around the body such as the joints, skin and heart. If not treated correctly this can lead to septicaemia- a life threatening blood infection.
I’m interested in finding out more about this service but I’m afraid people will find out if I even ask at the counter or over the phone.
Don’t worry. We understand the need for privacy. You have a couple of options.:
- At the counter, you can ask to the speak to the pharmacist of your choice in private and you do not need to say why. If you prefer, ask for a male or a female pharmacist if you have a preference. Once in the consultation room, the discussion between you and our pharmacist is private just as a discussion between you and your doctor would be private.
- Alternatively, you can use the Ask Our Pharmacist (Make a hyperlink) tab of the website. Under this tab, you can select the pharmacist you want to ask your question to. That pharmacist will receive a private message that is between you and them only.
How much does the testing cost?
There are 3 test packages:
- Simple 2 test is €49 – Chlamydia, Gonorrhoea
- Standard 6 test is €119 – Chlamydia, Gonorrhoea, Trichomonas, HIV, Syphillis, Hep B
- Complete 12 test is €269 – Chlamydia, Gonorrhoea, Trichomonas, HIV, Syphillis, Hep B, Gardnerella, Mycoplasma, Ureaplasma, Herpes Simplex, Herpes Simplex II